Wednesday 17 August 2016

GROITAL (grow it all) Farms

There are various opportunities at every section of the agribusiness value chain. Recently had a chat with the CEO of Grow It All Farms (Groital), Mr Joshua Ayinbora. Trained at the University of Developement Studies(Ghana) and University of Salford (UK) as an Earth Scientist, Joshua and his team are poised on making use of the resources the Earth has to offer.
Enjoy!

GRADiA: Why did you decide to start a farm?
Joshua: Shortly after my return from further studies abroad I was keen on venturing into a profitable business. It took me approximately 4 month of research, to settle on a choice of business. I read the World Bank Reports, Danida reports, African Economic Output reports and many others. After studying these reports I realized they were all pointing to agriculture as the future of Africa. According to my research I discovered that agriculture is one of the most profitable ventures when done properly.
I also decided to start a farm, because I can maintain my full time job and still manage my farm. It is not an industry that will necessarily require me to quit my job, not until the farm has expanded to a stage that will require my daily presents. Agriculture is one of the few sectors Africa has a competitive advantage.

 GRADiA: What are you aiming to achieve

Joshua:My company aims at being a brand name in fruits in Ghana and beyond. Aiming to make agriculture attractive the youth of Ghana and Africa at large. We aim to employ more technology to improve our farming techniques and reduce risks.

GRADiA: What has been your biggest Challenge?
My biggest challenge is human resource, relying on third parties to get things done on time and on budget is really hard, especially in the agricultural sector. Some of our employs still don’t understand farming as business, and they take so many for granted. Just a few people are enthusiastic about agriculture, and that is a challenge for the industry. My next big challenge is capital, since I started I have had demand far exceeding supply, and I am working hard to raise more capital to expand the current farm.

GRADiA: what keeps your going? Drive?
Joshua: I am a very positive person who never gives up easily. I think my definiteness of purpose is what keeps me going. I have locked up my eyes on the goal and pressing on. My research proves that agriculture is the next big thing for Africa and I want to be a part of it.

GRADiA: What does the future hold for your farms. Future Plans?
Joshua:To expand my current farm to 5000 of hectares in the next 20 years. What I am aiming to achieve to create employment and to empower younger people to engage in farming, while utilizing profits to bring change in the communities I work. I aim to have farms across all the regions in Ghana, producing best quality fruits, vegetables and cereals that can compete with international standards.
I want my produce to me part of every meal consumed at any time in Ghana and beyond.  In the near future we will not just produce pineapples, but will go into wide range of vegetables and fruits.

GRADiA: Did you read Agric? Or have an agricultural background.
Joshua:I do not have an agricultural background. I studied  BSc. Earth Science at the University for Development Studies and MSc. Petroleum and Gas Engineering at the University of Salford. Earth Science has a close tie with agriculture as we specialize with anything relating to the earth, including rocks, soil, water, mineral and the like.
I do not think someone necessarily needs to study agriculture to be a farmer. If you are ready to learn and not afraid of making mistakes you will get things right and become successful.

GRADiA:  Final words
Hard work beats talent.

"the Best Culture is Agriculture"








No comments:

Post a Comment